Skip Main Navigation
Passport Office Closed 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. Monday,  March 19 The Passport Office will be closed between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Monday, March 19, 2018. Passport services will NOT be offered during that time...

Police Department Ask Arvada

Reporting a Traffic Accident

No matter how safely you drive, chances are someday you'll be involved in an accident. Regardless of who is at fault, it's important that you know what to do. If you are involved in an accident, there are several things you are legally required to do.


First, you must stop at the scene of the accident or as close to the scene as possible without blocking traffic. Even before the arrival of police, try not to move the vehicles unless they are a serious traffic hazard.


Second, give any help you can if someone is obviously injured. Don't attempt to move an injured person from a wrecked vehicle unless you have the necessary medical training or there is another immediate danger, such as a fire.


Third, report the accident to the police as quickly as possible. Accidents on private property can be handled by exchanging information and reporting it online.  If the accident involves injuries, alcohol, public property damage or a hit and run call the police.


Fourth, exchange information with other people involved in the accident as soon as possible. This includes name, address and driver's license number of other drivers; license plate numbers; name and address of anyone injured; names and addresses of any witnesses; name, address and insurance policy number from the vehicle owners. Be sure to notify your own insurance company immediately.


If you have had an accident with an unattended vehicle, you must make reasonable effort to find the owner of the vehicle or the owner of other property that may be damaged as a result of the accident. If no one can be located, leave a note that can be easily found at the scene of the accident. Include your name, address, driver's license number, the date and time of the accident, and an estimate of the damages.


If you are involved in a minor crash you can make your traffic report online.



In an effort to make reporting minor accidents quicker, easier and more convenient for drivers the Arvada Police Department is referring citizens to the Colorado State Patrol's online accident reporting system.  As of July 1, 2009, the Arvada Police Department will stop taking over-the-counter accident reports on a walk-in basis.  Now, if a citizen is involved in a minor accident in the City of Arvada, they should visit within 30 days to file an accident report. 



This method of accident reporting may be used if the driver(s) of the vehicle(s) involved have been told by a law enforcement official to file a counter report; or, if an accident alert was in effect at the time the accident occurred; or if minor accident occurred on private property. The following conditions must be met to file an online accident report:

• Damage under $1,000

• No injuries

• Vehicles are drivable

• Parties have insurance

• No suspicion of alcohol/drug use by driver

The report can be filed using any computer with Internet access.  If the citizen does not have a home computer, most local libraries have free Internet access that can be used to file the report.  Also, consider the use of any number of "Internet cafés" in the area.


This information was brought to you by the department of Public Safety. 

Check Your Request

Login to Ask Arvada

If you submitted a request, you'll get e-mail updates. You can login to Ask Arvada anytime to see the status of your request.

Public Safety and Emergencies

If you are experiencing a safety, medical, or other emergency, dial 911 on your phone. Do not submit a service request. For non-emergency public safety issues, call dispatch 720-898-6900.