Skip Main Navigation
Passport Office Closed 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. Monday,  March 19 The Passport Office will be closed between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Monday, March 19, 2018. Passport services will NOT be offered during that time...

Police Department Ask Arvada

Restraining Order - Prevent Domestic Abuse

A county court judge may issue a protection order to prevent further domestic abuse. Protection orders are not automatically issued upon request. Jefferson County Courts Provide a Protection Order Clinic staffed by Family Tree Legal Advocacy Program staff. This is located in Victim Witness room (1070) at the Jefferson County Courthouse. Contact the staff at 303-271-6559 for information and hours.

Project Safeguard has advocates at the Adams County, Boulder County, Broomfield County, and Denver County courthouses. Their contact number is 303-637-7761 for information and hours.

Please note that protection orders are issues to prevent domestic violence, to prevent stalking, to prevent sexual assault, to prevent abuse of the elderly or an at risk adult. If you have shared children with the restrained party, you can ask the Court to award you temporary care and control of minor children through the protection order, however it is up to the Court to decide if that will be granted to you. You will have to tell the Court why awarding you temporary care and control of the children to you is in the best interests of the children. If the Court awards you temporary care and control of minor children, the Court can only do so for up to one year. Furthermore, this Order is not a Custody Order. To obtain a Custody Order you must either file for divorce (Dissolution of Marriage), or legal separation or petition for custody (Allocation of Parental Responsibilities) in the District Court, Domestic Relations Unit. Complete the following steps to ask for such an order:

1) Obtain and complete a Protection Order packet which can be obtained directly from the clerk of the County Court Civil Division. Go directly to Jefferson County Victim Witness Room (Suite 1070) or Project Safeguard's offices, and they will have the packets.

2) File the complaint with the appropriate clerk of the court. You must sign the complaint and have it notarized before you file, or sign the complaint in front of the court clerk and ask the clerk to verify your signature at the time you file. There is a filing fee of $97.00, unless you are filing the protection order as a victim of domestic abuse/domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault - crimes for which the fee is waived. If you are not filing as a victim of one of these crimes, you may request a motion to have your filing fees waived.

3) After your complaint has been filed you will go to the Judge. The civil clerk will advise you where to go.

4) The judge will hear your case and will decide whether to issue the Temporary Protection Order.

5) If the Temporary order is granted, the clerk will provide you with paperwork that contains the next court date. Keep a copy of this with you at all times. The clerks and or Family Tree staff will assist you with the number of copies you may need.

6) After you have obtained certified copies of the Temporary Protection Order, the defendant must be served with a copy of the Complaint and a certified copy of the Protection Order including the section which provides the date for the Permanent Protection Order hearing. The defendant must be served as soon after the Temporary Orders hearing as possible and definitely before the next hearing. Please note: The Protection Order is not valid until the defendant is served. *Additionally, you cannot serve the defendant. These papers must be handed to the defendant by a "disinterested" party over the age of 18. It is strongly suggested that you utilize the Sheriff's Department. The Sheriff's Department will charge a fee of $35.00 per person being served plus mileage. Mileage is based upon zip code at .56 cents a mile roundtrip. If you have the Sheriff or a process server serve the defendant, they will give you a paper afterwards stating that the defendant was served. This is the "Return or Proof of Service." You must give the original "Return or Proof of Service" to the judge at the Permanent Protection Order hearing, and keep a copy for yourself. Should a violation occur, the police may ask to see a copy of the Protection Order and the proof of service.

7) The Permanent Protection Order hearing. You MUST go to the scheduled Court hearing if you want to request that your Temporary Protection Order to remain in effect for a length of time (There are many possible outcomes at this hearing. It is possible to request that your protection order be continued for up to two more weeks, to be continued for up to one year, to be made permanent, or be dismissed. Some Judge's also offer mediation as a voluntary option, only in Jefferson County.) This hearing is the defendant's opportunity to tell the judge why the Protection Order should not be made permanent. You should be prepared to testify again about your need for the Protection Order and, if possible, have evidence and witnesses available who can testify about the defendant's violent acts against you. For more specific information regarding Protection Orders please call Victim Services in the Arvada Police Department at 720-898-6740 or submit a service request.

This information was brought to you by the department of Public Safety.


Check Your Request

Login to Ask Arvada

If you submitted a request, you'll get e-mail updates. You can login to Ask Arvada anytime to see the status of your request.

Public Safety and Emergencies

If you are experiencing a safety, medical, or other emergency, dial 911 on your phone. Do not submit a service request. For non-emergency public safety issues, call dispatch 720-898-6900.